It's been nearly 75 years since Adams County’s first public library opened. Although the way we access and use information has completely transformed during that time, our mission remains the same: to provide residents with materials and information services for formal and lifelong learning, enrichment and pleasure.
1822: Library Society adopts its constitution.
1921: Citizens vote to hire a librarian for Central Library, and 11 smaller towns are to have branches with reading rooms and volunteers.
1945: Adams County Public Library Association is incorporated, rents 135 Carlisle Street as its first library site, and appoints Kathryn Oller librarian.
1946: Library opens January 7, and the bookmobile begins as well.
1949: Library purchases and moves into the jail building on 59 East High Street.
1959: Friends of the Library is organized.
1960: Adams County Public Library Association changes its name to Adams County Public Library.
1979: Adams County Public Library and East Berlin Community Library unite to form Adams County Library System.
1987: Rotary Club initiates plans for a new library location in the Gettysburg Federal Building, which formerly served as a post office.
1992: Gettysburg’s library moves from 59 East High Street to the Federal Building. New Oxford Area Library opens.
1995: County Commissioners approve a half-million-dollar dedicated real estate tax for library use, scheduled to begin in 1996.
1997: Littlestown Reading Room opens.
2003: Fairfield Library opens.
2008: Harbaugh-Thomas Library opens.