3M Cloud Library – Installing the app on a Kindle Fire
These instructions are to be used as a reference only. Please note that by downloading the 3M Cloud Library app you assume all risk of data loss or system damage to your device. By downloading the application it will not automatically update to any newer versions. In order to update you will have to uninstall the current version and install the newer version using the same procedure.
To install the 3M Cloud Library application on a Kindle Fire, you will need your Kindle Fire connected to the Internet and be prepared to enter your library card and PIN.
Step 1: Allow 3rd party applications (outside the Kindle Android store)
To install the 3M Cloud Library Android application, you will need to allow 3rd party applications to be installed on the Fire.
- From the main screen select options (the gear-shaped icon at the top of the screen)
- Select More and then Device
- Scroll down to find the Allow Installation of Applications option.
- Set this to ON
Step 2: Download the 3M app
- Return to the Home screen and open the web browser
- Type in the following address: http://ebookdownload.3m.com/apps/android/3mcloudlibrary.apk
- The app file will begin to download.
Step 3: Install the app
- After the app has successfully downloaded, you will see a small ’1′ in a circle at the top of the Kindle Fire screen.
- Tap the 1 to open the message
- Tap where it says Download Complete
- You will be asked if you want to install the app. Tap Install and then tap Done
- The newer Kindle Fire devices may not automatically prompt you to install the file. Instead, you may need to open the file with a file management app to edit it so that it can be installed.
- If using File Expert, open the app and select the Folders tab.
- Tap SD Card and open the folder named Download.
- You may see the 3M file listed with a .ZIP extension. This needs to be changed to .APK.
- Press and hold the file name until a menu appears. Tap Rename and then tap at the very end of the name.
- Press the Delete key on the screen to remove the ZIP letters and then type APK
- For instance, if the downloaded file is named 3mcloudlibrary-1.zip, you need to change it to 3mcloudlibrary-1.apk.
- Once you have renamed the file, tap the 3M logo and on the next screen tap INSTALL at the bottom of the screen.
Step 4: Setting up the app
- Tap the Home icon to return to the main screen of the Fire
- You should now see the 3M Cloud Library App.
- Open the app and select Pennsylvania as the state and Adams County Library System as your library.
- Next, enter your library card and PIN
- Tap on the “End User License Agreement” button and accept the terms and conditions of the agreement
- Tap Login.
Note that using this method with a Kindle Fire does not require an Adobe ID. However, if you transfer books to the Kindle Fire to use with other reading apps, you may already have registered them with an Adobe ID. Installing the 3M app will not interfere with any existing reading apps already registered.