- Renew Materials
- Find It
- Using the Library
- Get to Know Us
- Friends of the Library
- Board of Trustees
Internet Use Policy
Mission of the Library:
The Mission of the Adams County Library System is to collect, organize and maintain various media in order to make them available for use by Adams County residents.
Purpose of the Internet Access:
The library is making Internet service available out of a commitment to offer the most up to date information possible.
The library is in compliance with all state and federals laws regulating the Internet. The Library is using a technology protection measure to filter access to websites which are obscene, child pornography or harmful to minors. Filtering software is not foolproof; it only diminishes the likelihood of accidentally accessing images that violate the law. These technology protection measures may be disabled for adults (patrons over the age of 17) who have bona fide research requests or for lawful purposes by asking a librarian. The library has set up a set of procedures for accessing the Internet. These procedures are posted at the desk.
Unacceptable Forms of Behavior:
- Viewing, sending or producing any images that are obscene, child pornography or harmful to minors.
- Viewing, sending or producing any material of a sexual nature that might be seen by a minor (someone under the age of 18) that is defined as a crime in 18 Pa. C.S. 5903.
- Downloading any files to the PC in the library is forbidden. This includes changing the windows wall paper and downloading programs to run on the library computers. This is to minimize the threat of viruses.
- Using the Internet in a manner which compromises the safety or security of minors when using email, chat rooms, and other forms of direct electronic communications.
- Minors shall not send any information of a personal nature, [name, address, phone number, credit card numbers, social security numbers] without the express consent of a parent.
- Sending messages to the staff or others that are harassing in nature.
- Making a disturbance while using the Internet station, this includes excessive talking or fighting over computers.
- Loitering at the computer stations.
- Unauthorized use of computer software, breaking any copyright laws or attempting to break into another computer system [ex. hacking].
Any occurrence of an unacceptable form of behavior will result in the person being asked to leave the library. A second offence will result in the person permanently losing her/his privilege to the Internet.
The library does not endorse any products or materials that you find on the Internet. The library cannot guarantee that all the information on the Internet is accurate. If you have any questions about the accuracy of any information, please feel free to ask a librarian.
Buying products over the Internet is a growing trend in the country. However, the library does not endorse any merchandise you find on the Internet and would caution against purchasing anything without checking out the company selling the item. If you have any question about the acceptable and unacceptable uses of the site, please ask a librarian.
Finally, the library is NOT responsible for any damage, either direct or indirect, that may occur to your home system by the use of our Internet connections.