- Renew Materials
- Find It
- Using the Library
- Get to Know Us
- Friends of the Library
- Board of Trustees
Disruptive Behavioral Policy
It is the policy of the Adams County Library System to offer the full range of library services to all residents of the community, regardless of age, sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion, or economic status. It is the intent of the Library to provide its service with a minimum of regulations and restrictions, adopting only those that are absolutely essential to the library's operations. The library recognizes that the public has certain expectations of the library.
These include an outstanding collection of library materials; pleasant, attractive surroundings; and courteous, efficient, and effective service. Library users have a right to assume that visits to the library will be free from harassment, physical discomfort and danger, and psychological stress. The library staff has basically the same rights. Each member of the staff should be able to do his/her work free from harassment, abuse, discomfort, and undue psychological stress. It shall therefore be the policy of the Library Board to maintain in the library system a quiet, pleasant environment conducive to serious study as well as casual use.
In such an environment, the Board considers the following to be unacceptable behavior:
- Loud conversation or laughter that is disturbing to other users.
- Obscene or abusive language.
- Willful destruction of or damage to any library property.
- Blocking or in any way interfering with the free movement of any person or persons.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs.
- Removal of any library property from the building without authorization through established lending procedures.
- Following staff or users around the building, staring, or otherwise harassing staff and users.
- Engaging in disorderly conduct, committing a nuisance, or unreasonably disturbing and offending library users.
- Carrying weapons of any sort by any individual except by law enforcement officers.
- Smoking in designated non-smoking areas.
- Using radios, record players, etc., in unauthorized areas without headphones.
- Bringing animals other than those certified to assist the handicapped into library facilities.
- Soliciting or selling of any kind, unless approved by the Library Director.
- Distribution of leaflets or posting of notices in areas not authorized for this purpose.
- Consumption of food or beverages except at meetings where permission has been obtained to serve refreshments.
- Use of cellular telephones within the library.
- Displaying other behaviors inappropriate in a public setting.
Violators of this policy will be subject to exclusion from the library premises. Criminal behavior will be prosecuted under the law.