The Adams County Library System does accept volunteers to work in the various departments and branches. Persons interested in volunteering at the Adams County Library System must complete a Prospective Volunteer Form. The Volunteer Coordinator will then contact the prospective volunteer to discuss opportunities and interests.
Here is a partial list of volunteer duties. Many depend on the department or library location where the volunteer works. Volunteer duties may include:
- Shelving books or other library materials like CD’s, audio books, or movies
- Cleaning books and dusting shelving
- “Reading the shelves” to be sure books are in the correct location
- Pulling books for rotation to other libraries in our system
- Providing computer data entry, such as library card applications
- Teaching computer classes
- Repairing books (Technical Services Department)
- Preparing new books for circulation-adding plastic covers, reinforcing spines and edges with tape, stamping and embossing items with our identification (Technical Services Department)
- Preparing old books for leaving the collection (Technical Services Department)
- Boxing books for the Friends Sale (Technical Services Department)
- Assembling a memory scrapbook for the library
- Planning and conducting preschool story times
- Proofreading library materials
- Organizing and assembling craft projects for children’s activities
- Sponsoring a library program
- Supporting the Summer Reading Club by assisting with crafts and special programs
- Keeping the supply of income tax forms and booklets available for the public (seasonal)
- Straightening the magazine donations
- Cleaning movie and musical CD cases
All training and supplies needed to do a particular task are provided by the library. All we ask is a willing hand and a friendly smile.
Find our current openings for Volunteer Positions on:
Looking for other volunteer opportunities? Check out Get Connected – an easy-to-use and fun way for you to volunteer and stay current with the needs of our community. With a click, you can share with your friends on Facebook and Twitter and have them join you to make Adams County a better place to live, work and play.